Friday, November 18, 2011

Dress Surgery

Before - Frilly and Unnecessary cap sleeves

After - Sleeveless and infinitely more Wearable!
I found this pretty cotton summer dress in a local department store yesterday and while I liked the fabric and the style I didn't like the sleeves - even on the rack. I thought that I would try it on anyway just to have a look at the fit.
While I was in the fitting room I tucked one of the sleeves underneath the shoulder strap and it looked so much better. I then commenced to have a look at how the dress was constructed and whether or not I could do some surgery to make it better for me. All it needed was a bit of bias tape around the outer sleeve hole - there was enough fabric in the sleeve to do this - so it came home with me.
It was relatively easy and I am really happy with the result.

 I went to Spotlight today (just to get a zipper!! I promise) and had a bit of a look but came away with absolutely zero inspiration. I have so much trouble with fabric selection - I have trouble translating the drape of the fabric over to how the dress will look when it is finished. I am grateful for the internet in this respect because I can go searching for how others have approached the pattern and get some ideas.

I know that the patterns have suggestions on the back for fabric selection, however sometimes an unexpected fabric can work surprisingly well. The Sorbetto top is a good example of this - the first one I used a drapey light voile and it looked good - but it also looked good in the heavier cotton. I think perhaps that some of my problem is confidence. I don't want to spend money on the more expensive fabrics tat I know love because I don't want to risk messing it up - I know that this will improve in time - that is partly what this blog's purpose is I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment