Sunday, January 9, 2011

Obsessed with the House Dress

Ever since stumbling across this post and then subsequently this post I have become a little obsessed with the idea of the House Dress. It is just so 1950's chic and I am going to make some for next summer - and maybe even this winter.

Gertie from Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing did a great post on the History of the House dress - with some great vintage patterns.

I have read them described as " a garment with a multi-sided identity: a uniform for housework, a light dress for the summer, daily wear for women in rural families, and also a staple item in the collections of many fashion designers". There is even a book available dedicated to the topic.

Ralph Lauren Spring 2010
 The whole concept just screams 'Ease and comfort' to me - and with a new born as well as a 2 year old - I think I will be needing that. So these are some of the patterns I have in mind - of course I want mine to have a modern take - there will be no sacks here!


This New look pattern has a number of different combinations that would work well - I particularly like the plaid version in the pattern pic (as a bonus - I already own this pattern).


I live view C in this one.





The long sleeve version for winter.

Vogue V8511

Vogue 8409




Vogue v8577

This last one I really like but I think would need some alterations - the capped sleeve doesn't generally do much for me.


There are probably more out there but I am lacking in motivation right now - I think I (or perhaps the baby) need some food!

1 comment:

  1. I've made V8511 and visiting DD in Canberra Friday, so will take a photo so I can finish the post - ie add to the previous post. Was very easy to make. I quite like the New Look pattern esp. if it's going to be hot.

    ReplyDelete