Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Make it Perfect - Sweet Dreams PJ's



After my dismal failure with the stretch sewing last night I am still thinking about all that and need to do a little more research. So today I moved on to the PJ pants.

As with all Make it Perfect patterns the instructions were clear and easy to follow and the sizing is fairly true.

I bought some pretty floral cottons, have some quilting cotton in my stash and discovered a stash of thrifted sheets that will make perfect PJ's.

Given the third trimester pregnancy status and the fact that I tend to have a bit of a tummy for a while after having a baby I chose to make the large.


I made one pair up in this size and before putting in the elastic tried them on for size. They fit - just - and I'm not really sure how the fit will change when I don't have a pregnant belly. The only part that concerned me was that they were a little tight through the seat - not so tight that I couldn't sit down - just tighter than you want a pair of PJ's to be. So I continued on and put the elastic in and decided that I would make another pair to try out an alteration for this tightness.

After a bit of research I discovered that adding some width to the outer leg seam should cover me for tightness across the front of the pants - the rear bottom part seemed fine as did the crotch length so I decided that it was the width that needed altering. As it turns out I was right - I added 5/8" to the outer leg seam of both the front and back pieces and sewed it together.

Fixed the problem and they are now much more comfortable.

I realise that when I am no longer pregnant these PJ's will probably be quite big on me - but I figure that it is much easier to take a pair of pants in to be smaller than it is to make them bigger - and we are going for comfort above all else here.

Now I have three more pairs to make up...

Posted @ My Creative Space - Here

2 comments:

  1. those pants are great and i wish i had a pair to lounge in now! hmmmm...think i will build my courage up to make a bigger project like making those pj pants, so far its just been little sewing projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making pj pants because they are simple and I love crazy designs. Charmaine

    ReplyDelete