Monday, January 24, 2011

Back to the sewing machine

I know it has been a week or so since I posted but I have been feeling a little overwhelmed with the amount of things going on at the moment and sewing was the last thing on my  mind.

However, as is very characteristic of me I have now gone to the other extreme and am on a bit of a sewing binge.

I started obsessively thinking this week about what I am going to wear when I am still in hospital after having the baby. Last time I was hopelessly under prepared in the way of pretty PJ's and nursing friendly access clothes - but hey H boy was my first and I really had no idea!

The jusry is quite split on weather or not to wear comfy street clothes, lounge clothes or PJ's in hospital. I was toying with the idea of yoga pants and nursing friendly tops - and I will probably still throw in a few of these. However, I ended up deciding on pretty PJ's - as I know that I'll get a lot of use out of them throughout winter.

So I began scouring the internet and this is what I came up with:
Megan Nielsen
Make it Perfect
I will combine the PJ pants with some purchased white nursing tops from Kmart (they are only $10 - I couldn't buy fabric for that price!). The pants don't really bother me - I have made many Make it Perfect patterns before and they always turn out well.

However after having a bit of a pattern drafting/cutting out session yesterday - 


I found some white cotton Lycra in the stash to have a play with the sleep bra pattern before I commit my pretty fabric. All I can say is it was a dismal fail and I think I need ALOT of work and practice sewing stretch before I get on with the night dress. Nothing like a challenge though hey!

I am also keeping track of what I spend on this little venture because I had contemplated just buying some pretty PJ's from Peter Alexander - but for what I have bought in material supplies and patterns ( A$85) I would have only been able to get 2 pairs of pants - pretty as they are, and they wouldn't have been made just for me.

For my A$85 I will get Four pairs of PJ pants and one nightdress. (Edit: Make that 5 pairs of PJ pants - I just found a cute old sheet in the cupboard that I am going to  have a play around with ...more info to come.)

No comments:

Post a Comment