Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Creative Space

I am finding that it has been increasingly difficult to post this past week - mainly because I am too tired from working and running around after a toddler to think of things to post about - or to take photos!

I have been sewing - a little - more on that in tomorrow's post. In truth I have been saving sewing projects so that I have little things to do while I am on Maternity leave. I have a little bit of sewing left to do that I absolutely have to do - and then of course some more fun things as well.

But I thought I would share with you my Sewing Space this week - the one that sometime over the next few months I need to condense so that the room it presently resides in can become the baby's room exclusively.

Until that time, the baby's clothes will inhabit the closet and the change table will move into the room - but the baby won't have a room of it's own until he absolutely has to!



I have a Singer Curvy 8780 Sewing machine and an Elna 745 Serger that share the little sewing table. There isn't quite enough space for the both of them so I often move  the  serger to the ground if I need the extra space with the sewing machine and I am not using the serger at the same time. My sewing table was a side of the road find that I believe was once a computer desk. I covered the top with some oilcloth to make it prettier. The shelves hold the majority of my stash - I also have a few thrifted sheets and that kind of thing in the closet in a storage box. The top shelf are fabrics that I either have plans for or am looking to get inspiration from. The second shelf is just general fabric that I have bought along the way for one project or another and I still have a decent amount left over. The third shelf are large lengths of fabric for garment sewing and fabric that is destined for a specific project and the fourth shelf is specialty fabrics, chiffon, lining, felt etc.


As you can see below, it basically takes up a corner of the spare bedroom.


I use these shelves for everything else. Patterns and scrap boxes on the top two shelves. Bits and bobs, notions and ironing things on the second shelf. Craft and sewing books on the third shelf. Below are boxes of 'other' craft items like scrapbooking and painting and general craft things.


My plans for when I need to move all of this involve some purchases of storage devices that will allow me to keep everything out of sight (and little fingers) - as it will be in a family area of the house until our extension is finished.
I plan on buying one of these Billy bookcase cabinets from Ikea:

It is slightly larger that my current shelves and should fit all of my fabric, books and notions all in the one cabinet. Hopefully the craft supplies as well!

As for the sewing machine - I think that I will be forced to save up for one of these Horn Kimberly cabinets. That way everything can be stored away from little fingers safely but I can still access it all easily. As a bonus - it also locks!




1 comment:

  1. There is a lot of space with storage cabinet, could use two sewing machine on one cabinet, huge storage space.

    ReplyDelete