Sunday, February 27, 2011

Megan Nielsen Perfect Nursing and Maternity Top - Pattern Review

Find it here



I bought this pattern along with the Nursing Lingerie set also by Megan, a little while ago, however, my lack of expertise in sewing stretch fabrics had me leave this one on the shelf until I could find some stretch fabric cheap enough to make it worth my while giving it a go. Jersey fabric in Australia is not all that cheap and I didn't really want to spend $40 only to make a huge mess.

I'm glad that I made that choice and waited until I found some clearance Jersey for $5 per meter.

This is a nice pattern - don't get me wrong - and very easy to sew up - but there are a few things I would change if I were to make it again.



The first thing would be the fabric choice. The jersey I bought was a very fine slinky jersey and while beautiful - just too light for this pattern. The nursing modesty panel shows very clearly through the front panel because of how thin the fabric is.
 The fabric choice also didn't handle the construction method of the neck line and modesty panel very well and I don't think it will stand up to the test of time and wear when feeding frequently. All of this is purely down to fabric choice. I think it needs a nice sturdy ITY Jersey or cotton lycra. Whatever the choice - it needs to have a bit of weight to it.


The second thing I would change (and this is just a personal thing) is that I would use a cover hem on the neckline, hem, sleeve hem and modesty panel neckline - purely to increase the sturdiness factor and increase the amount of stretch in the neckline. I have a Serger that can do a cover hem - however - I have yet to master it.

The last thing I would alter is the width of the middle panel. This is what gives the top the length it needs to cover the growing bump - but - it is just a bit too wide for my liking - I was left feeling as though I hadn't followed the pattern instructions properly - but on review it seems I did. I feel as though it could be half the width and make the bottom of the top the same length longer.

On the positive side - it is a very flattering top and not all that difficult to sew. I didn't use my Serger to set in the sleeves as I have never made anything with set in sleeves before and wasn't all that sure about this step. The sleeves are fine though having sewn them with just a straight stitch. I finished off the raw edges with the Serger after sewing the sleeves in.  If I could find the right fabric I would give it another go - it is just that living in a relatively small city I am quite limited in my choice of fabric stores and Jersey/knits are something I like to  feel before purchasing.

I made the Large size and I normally wear a size 10 - 12. With this particular fabric I may have gotten away with the Medium. One my milk comes in the 'top' part of the top will fit fine, but the middle panel and bottom of the top will swamp me when I no longer have a bump.

So how am I going to make this better? I am toying with the idea of cutting out the modesty panel and using this one as a night shirt with easy feeding access or simply wearing it with a white singlet underneath. I may also have a play with folding the middle panel in half and understitching it somehow - purely to have a play.

This is a nice pattern and has fantastic instructions - I was just glad of the opportunity to make a muslin of sorts.

1 comment:

  1. Andrea!! I'm so sorry to hear your first attempt didn't go so well - but it does look really cute on you!! I absolutely agree with your pattern review - and think I might make that band a little thinner in the next release :) Good luck on your next try!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete