Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I could make that!

I am sure that anyone who can sew frequently sees garments being sold for exorbitant prices and thinks to themselves - I could make that!

Well - I am going to try and do a regular feature on that very thing. Each week (or as often as I find inspiration) - I will post an item of clothing available for purchase along with a pattern that would give you a similar version for a fraction of the price.

Fun right!

Want to play along? let me know and I'll set up a linky tool for next week.

But for now, last week I saw this *hot* little red number available at Ginger and Smart.

Ginger and Smart Dash Dress

One look and I saw the pattern in my head - McCalls 5845

McCalls 5845

It is listed on the McCalls website as being out of print (Boo Hoo - why do they do that!) - but hey you might be lucky at find it at you local pattern supplier/fabric store.

If you want to see it made up there are a number of reviews on Pattern Review.

Before you say - Ugh! External darts - What on earth were they thinking - take a deep breath and give it a try - they are a really cute feature!

I have made up this pattern in a Stretch Sateen and it sews up beautifully. I did make a muslin and had to take in the hip curve a little as well as drop the neckline about 1" - I think I could have taken it more. Sorry - I have zero pics of this one as they were all taken on someone else camera and being 8 months pregnant I can't go and try it on. But I promise that once it fits me again I will do a proper review!

Now I want to make it in red!

1 comment:

  1. I seem to always be saying this too. I do like your idea of linking in with patterns - hard to find sometimes but I do like a good hunting expedition.

    ReplyDelete